Reach out for a free estimate
So you just got your new tile installed. Now what? It’s important to know how to properly maintain your floors to keep them looking like new. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are incredibly durable, and a few easy cleaning tips can keep these types of floors looking sparkling. Follow this simple process to clean ceramic and porcelain tile:
1. Clean up loose debris: Sweep or vacuum your tile floors regularly to keep them from getting dull. Ceramic tiles may be resistant to dirt, but sand and grit can dull the glazed surfaces.
2. Choose the right floor mop: Clean tile with mild detergent and clean water using a rag or chamois-type mop rather than a sponge mop. These mops are best for cleaning tile because sponge mops tend to push dirty water into the grout lines, making them harder to clean. Be sure to change the water frequently while mopping; dirty water equals a cloudy floor.
3. Be on the look for tile stains: If you find a discoloration, first try to determine what type of substance made the stain. Use the appropriate cleaner for the stain for the most effective clean.
4. Watch for soap residue: If your tiles look hazy even after cleaning, you might be dealing with soapy residue. Remove the film with a nonabrasive all-purpose cleaner. You could also try a homemade cleaner with mild acid (such as fresh lemon juice) on ceramic or porcelain tiles (but never on stone tiles).
5. Dry the tiles: Don't let your glazed tile floors air-dry as the sitting water will form water spots. Take care of that by drying the floor with a clean, lint-free cloth immediately after washing.